Monday, August 10, 2009

Plumeria Painting

This is a 40"x 18" piece of 300lb paper. I've already torn it using a sharp ruler so it has deckled edges & I can paint right up to the edges. I've been doing this so that I can float the finished piece in the frame. Sometimes, I've torn the paper after the painting is finished, but I'm always worried that I'll tear the finished painting!
I'm doing an underpainting of the shadows using a grey made of cobalt blue, permanent rose & aureolin, as well as cobalt blue + winsor violet. I've added a little mixture of aureolin + bright rose (Holbein) in some of the shadows where there is reflected light in my reference photo.


  1. I am looking forward to seeing this one develop. You watercolors are wonderfuland I have enjoyed looking at your blog.

  2. Hi Kathleen,
    I found your blog last night, I think you paint beautifully, I'm looking at the whole blog now that I have more time, and am enjoying it.
    Best regards,